Interview Woes

The joys of job searching.  It is not fun.  It is when you have a job, and you find another.  It is not when you don't have a job, and you think you've found a job that only brings unwanted stress your way and awkward dramas.

As I was laid off last year, I was thrown into the world of unemployment, in an economy that is terrible.  I have sent out over 200 applications and resume submissions since my lay off, and have had 5 interviews.  What gives?  The stats that show one position receives minimum 70 applicants on a small scale is so daunting.  How on Earth are they going to weed my resume out from the rest?  It is insane, and so draining.

I felt like I had much game in the corporate world.  I was presenting at meetings with company heads, I was rubbing shoulders with VPs, entertaining clients at various events, traveling near and far, the list goes on.

I did have struggles in my job, obviously, it wasn't all roses and champagne, but when the champagne was poured, I savored it and drank it! J'adore champagne!


So fed up was I in January, after accepting a position with a company, where the job they offered turned out to be anything but the job title, and what the recruiter promised, I left that place and signed on at an employment agency through a friend's referral.

I met with this agency, advised what I have skills for, what I have been doing the last decade, and they said they'd get back to me with what they find.  In the meantime, they'd also find temp spots for me to fill while I wait for the "big one" to come around.

I said ok to temp work, and was nervous for the call to ask me to show up at some business office's reception desk to answer the phone for the day.  This is not what I want.  When a call DID come my way, it was to be placed at an accounting firm to scan tax documents, amongst other duties.

I figured, why not, do an easy job, have some income till tax day, make some connections, I agreed.  Now I am at the end of the placement, and really looking to get hired on at a business I want to work for, do a job that I would be great at, be gainfully employed, great drive, right?!...

I was thrown a major curve ball last week when I had a phone interview for a potential employer, and it went south 2 minutes into the conversation.  The recruiter had some sort of chip on her shoulder, and I was amazed, in a very bad way.  Are companies training recruiters to be rude, as a means to weed out characters of potential new hires?  If this is what I must face now, I am beyond over it.  I want a position at a place of business I will love what I do, or know that I can do well, and to get my teeth gnashing and skin toughened just to get the job, is it worth it?

I am not competitive by nature, but I do have drive, and I will do my best to get noticed and stay at the top of the potential list, but I'm not going to go over the top to get hired by someone, because they want that from people.  The position I was interviewing for wasn't anything to be competitive about either.  If it was sales position, I can see showing that mind set of being a high achiever and competitive, but this position was an administrator roll, and I was just deflated how much I fought through the whole interview.

I would love to work for myself, but I need financing to do this, and the economy is still so rocky I'm not about to open up a shop.  I can do the sweets business on the side for a while till I get to the point of opening up something, but until then I have to bring in income.

I just have no idea what I want to do. I have applied for many different positions, opening my mind and skills to learn in new industries, and I do not want to settle jobs that are waste of my time.

Alas, it is the weekend, and I will be applying for jobs anew.  I just want to work somewhere I am respected for the work I do, in a hopefully friendly environment, and do great things! Is that too much to ask for? Sigh...

No comments:

Post a Comment