Up-cycling: Turn that antique mirror into a chalkboard!

I am enamored by unique ways to create a chalkboard pieces, be it for decor, function, or both!

I've seen so many ways to turn different items into chalkboards, and I wanted to make one.  As we are getting ready to move in a few months, I've been going through different items in the home, and recently I came across an old mirror that belonged to my great grandmother.  The frame is in excellent condition, the mirror not so much.  Rather than get rid of it, I decided to turn the mirror into a little chalkboard piece to display in the home.  

I went out to seek some chalkboard paint the other day, and found "chalk paint".  It's not a chalkboard paint per say, but the ladies that helped me advised a few coats can make any surface as a chalkboard.  I purchased the little jar, and ran home to turn my mirror into something special.  


The chalk paint is really smooth, and glided on with such ease.  I painted with 3 layers to build the base for the chalkboard.  


I let this dry for over an hour, and went to town with writing.  I do have to admit, I did this once, and when I wrote with the chalk a bit of the paint came off and the mirror was exposed (insert frown face).  However, because the paint is chalk based, I thought to wash the mirror clean, and try again-it worked!!  Practice makes perfect, right?

And the final result:

I'm so thrilled with the way this turned out, and that I didn't have to get rid of the mirror!  I really wouldn't have tossed the frame, it is just too pretty, but I immediately found a use for it!  

Have you created a chalkboard out of something ordinary to now make it extraordinary?  Please share!

No comments:

Post a Comment