Sew new to sewing...


So, for Christmas, my mother in law and her parents got me my first ever sewing machine and accessories.  I had said this was on my wish list, and then once I received it, I freaked out! I immediately felt I shouldn't have requested such a glorious and complicated machine, because I felt I didn't have the sewing gene skills embedded in me.  (Note, I don't feel this way now)

I dove into the machine, however, and learned how to thread a bobbin, I practiced some stitches, and then I attempted to make a napkin...it was the saddest napkin I've ever seen! After that I tucked the sewing machine and accessories away, and decided to try anew at a later date.

Well, that date is now!  I've recently stumbled upon some cute baby clothing sewing patterns on Etsy, and I became re-energized to try my hand anew at sewing.  There are so many cute things I could make for my daughter-to-be, and I decided to dive into a project.

Bypassing easy projects, I decided to do a tote bag! What the heck was I thinking?  Not just any tote bag, but I decided to use some burlap and denim I had from some projects I did last summer-some of the toughest materials around!  I figured it best not to go out and buy new fabric, when I have perfectly decent fabric already, but for my first attempt I really should've gone with simpler fabrics.  I do love how burlap and denim look together, and I knew that using the two would make a cute tote bag to have on the go, so I went with that.

One of the accessories I do have is "1-2-3 Sew", a great tutorial book with sewing projects from simple to advanced.  It also contained pattern pieces, which was perfect and just what I needed!  The only thing I didn't have was someone looking over my shoulder to help guide me-that is until I referred to the internet for terms and a few YouTube sewing tutorials.

The nice thing about " 1-2-3 Sew" is there is a website attached with the book called The Long Thread.  And the project I wanted to make was listed there as well, which is the Market Tote.  Rather than give the tutorial here, it's best from the pros.  But, before you pop over to see the tutorial in total, I have included some images here of my progressions from chopped up and pinned fabric, to the finished project.


After all the fabric was cut, first two pieces pinned and ready to sew!


Post-sewing first piece, and pressed open seam.  Rinse and repeat for other side.  


Fast forward to interior lining pinned to main bag pieces.  The final steps were the most difficult for me, but I got through it, as you can see below!


I was worried the lines of everything wouldn't appear clean, and I was happily surprised! Now I have a cute tote to take with me to the grocery store, or to the beach-if I lived near the beach! This project did take me a span of a weekend and a day, because I had to put it down now and then, and pick it up again.  I got stumped at a few directions, frustrated at times, but I learned what to do after the fact.  Don't mind if I give myself a little pat on the back for completing something out of my comfort zone, that actually is functional to use! Yay me! :)

Now for the tutorial, please visit: The Long Thread: Market Tote Tutorial

Next project...I'm thinking cute diaper covers or a sweet little romper for my baby girl! Any projects you've sewn lately?  Please feel free to share! 




No comments:

Post a Comment